posted on August 28, 2012 07:46
The Town of Matthews has awarded $70,000 in seven grants to local organizations who will hold festivals/events in the Town during 2012-2013.
Receiving grants are:
• Matthews Chamber of Commerce for the Artfest and Classic Auto & Motorcycle Show - $11,500
• Matthews Alive! Festival - $14,000
• Matthews Playhouse - $29,000
• Matthews Rotary Club for the BBQ and Bluegrass Festival - $3,500
• Matthews Historical Foundation for the Meet Me in Matthews Day - $2,000
• Matthews Women’s Club for Victorian Teas - $1,000
• M.A.R.A. for athletic events and improvements to their facility - $9,000
Grant monies come from the taxes the public pays when eating in restaurants or staying at hotels in Mecklenburg County. All municipalities in the county receive a portion of these taxes. State laws dictate that these tax proceeds must be used to promote tourism and cannot be used for any other municipality activity.
Matthews Tourism Grants are available to organizations in the Town who meet state law requirements by acquiring, constructing, financing, maintaining, operating, marketing, and promoting convention centers, civic centers, performing arts centers, coliseums, auditoriums, and museums.
The grants may also be used for off-street parking that would be used in conjunction with these facilities, and for tourism and tourism-related programs and activities including art and cultural programs, events, and festivals.