The Town of Matthews honored Harris Teeter, Inc. during the “Laying the Foundation for Business Development Economic Summit”. Harris Teeter, Inc., headquartered in Matthews, is celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year. Matthews Mayor Jim Taylor presented a key to the Town, to Rod Antolock, Executive Vice President of Operations and Merchandising, for Harris Teeter. This is only the second business to receive this honor from the Town.
In 1936, W. T. Harris opened his first grocery store in Charlotte. Willis L. and Paul Teeter opened their first food mart in Mooresville in 1939. Harris Teeter was officially born in 1960 when Harris Super Markets and Teeter's Food Marts merged to form Harris Teeter Super Markets, Inc. There were already 15 stores in operation at the time and the first store to open under the new name was in Kannapolis. The firm moved its headquarters to Matthews in 1990 and employs 21,000 people.
Mayor Jim Taylor congratulated the corporation on their success and for the many ways Harris Teeter gives back to the community. Harris Teeter has contributed to the Town’s Police Department, to schools, to scouts and to many other organizations in the area. Mayor Taylor commented that Harris Teeter is constantly helping organizations with their time, money and gifts and the firm is tremendous asset to the economic vitality of the Town.
The grocery chain celebrated its 50th anniversary in February 2010 and has plans to open its 200th store before the end of 2010.
Annette Privette Keller
Communications Director/Assistant to the Manager