Posted on Wednesday April 12, 2017
The Town of Matthews Fire & EMS has received four carbon monoxide (CO) detectors from the Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation.
Date: April 12, 2017
Contact: Maureen Keith, Communications Coordinator
Matthews Fire & EMS Receives Equipment Donation
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Donated in Honor of Jeffrey Lee Williams
Matthews, NC – The Town of Matthews Fire & EMS has received four carbon monoxide (CO) detectors from the Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation.
“Tragic events in our area in recent years have demonstrated just how quickly carbon monoxide poisoning can occur,” said Matthews Fire Chief Rob Kinniburgh. “These detectors will help our first responders identify if CO is present upon arrival at a scene, helping to quickly recognize if there has been exposure. We are grateful for this donation from the Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation."
The CO detectors will allow first responders to detect CO - the odorless, colorless gas, known as “the silent killer.” First responders can quickly determine if CO is potentially the cause of illness to a victim, as well as protect themselves and others on the scene from exposure to the gas. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), tens of thousands are sickened each year and approximately 500 people die due to CO poisoning.
The Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation was formed in memory of 11-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams, who died tragically in 2013 as a result of CO poisoning. His mother, Jeannie Williams, made the donation of the detectors to fire departments across Mecklenburg County. Williams’ goal is that no one else dies from this preventable illness. To learn more about the dangers of CO and the importance of having detectors in the home, please visit www.jeffreysfoundation.org or www.cdc.gov/co/factsheets.htm.