- Starting Salary $38,992 +, depending on qualifications
- Salary Incentives - 2.5% pay adjustment for Professional Certificate Level
- Longevity Pay - Provided after first year of service
- Medical - Town pays partial coverage for employee & dependents.
- Dental - Town paid for employee & dependents (max. $1,075 yr / person)
- Sick Leave - 12 days per year
- Personal Leave - 10 or more days per year, depending on years of service plus two floating days
- Retirement - Town participates in the State Retirement System and provides a 401-k
- Education - Town reimburses up to $1,500 annually for pre-approved courses.
- Take home vehicle - For qualifying officers, after approximately one year of sworn service
- 21 years of age or older
- High School graduate or possess an equivalency certificate
- Possess a valid driver's license along with a safe driving record
- Having not committed nor been convicted of: (a) a felony, or (b) a crime punishable by more than two years, or any other offenses as defined by the NC Administrative Code.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Preference is given to candidates with a current NC BLET certification, but consideration will be given to those who are eligible to obtain that certification.
- Be of "...good moral character..." pursuant to G.S. 17C-10 and as determined through a thorough background investigation and additionally, any admitted or discovered falsification or omission of required information provided to this department for consideration of employment could result in the termination of your application process
- Must have received nothing other than an Honorable Discharge from the armed forces (If applicable)
- Must not have a history of abuse of marijuana or any other illegal substance to include, but not limited to: cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamine, PCP, improper use of prescription medication, or other illicit drugs
- Must not have evidence of continual poor financial responsibility such as a credit history of unjustifiable late payment of debts, wage garnishments, civil judgments or bankruptcy
The Selection Process
- Oral and / or written interview
- Qualified applicants will be invited back for further testing. Not all applicants who are interviewed will continue forward in the process
- Each applicant who continues forward will have an extensive background investigation completed. Only the most qualified applicants will be invited back for further processing
- Applicants who continue forward from the background investigation process will be given a "Conditional Offer of Employment" and then must pass the following examinations:
- Financial Review
- Medical examination which includes a drug screen
- Firearms qualification
- Final approval by the Chief of Police
Any questions regarding this process should be directed to our recruiter Officer Dustin Ay who can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-841-6740
Please click here to see if we are currently accepting applications.
NCDOJ Certification Information (Minimum Standards, Documentation Requirements, & Lateral / Out of State Transfer)
The town of Matthews is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.